Porting your mobile number from Tesco Mobile to giffgaff
Leaving Tesco Mobile
Instructions to switch from Tesco Mobile & take your mobile number with you to giffgaff:
Call Tesco Customer Care on 0845 301 4455 to request your PAC code. Alternatively you can contact them free on 282 from your Tesco Mobile phone or fill in the online Tesco form.
- Tesco Mobile will provide your Port Authorisation Code (P.A.C) either over the telephone, via email, by SMS text message, or in a letter posted to your address.
- A PAC code is valid for 30 days. If you don't use it within thirty days it will expire and you will need to request a new one.
- Your Tesco Mobile account will remain active until your number has been ported over to the new network. After the transfer is complete, your Tesco Mobile account will be automatically closed.
Tesco Mobile must issue you with a PAC number within 2 working days of
your request, or a reason for why it cannot be issued, in accordance with Ofcom's
"General Conditions of Entitlement".
Once you have received your Port Authorization Code from Tesco Mobile, look for the best giffgaff offer that is suited to you. Many of the best mobile phone deals are available exclusively online, directly from the network providers listed here.
Finally, provide your PAC code to your new giffgaff mobile network operator who will then be able to port your existing phone number from Tesco Mobile. They will tell you what day the transfer is due to take place (usually within 48 hours).
Important: Do NOT cancel your contract before switching, otherwise you might not be able to port over your number. Once you provide your new network provider with your PAC code, your old account will automatically be cancelled when the number is migrated over.
Note: Credit on a PAYG (Pay-As-You-Go) account cannot be transferred and any remaining credit will be lost after the switch over.
Instructions to switch to giffgaff & bring your old Tesco Mobile mobile phone number with you:
The first step, if you haven't already, is to sign up with giffgaff.
Once you have done that, ensure you have the following information ready:
- Your original mobile number you want to keep.
- The Port Authorization Code (PAC) from your previous Tesco Mobile network.
- The temporary mobile number from your new giffgaff sim card.
- You may also need the new SIM card number found on the back.
Make sure your giffgaff account and SIM have been activated. Then log in to your account and contact giffgaff to keep your old number. A Giff gaff customer support agent will then get back to you with your transfer date. Replies can be found in your giffgaff account message box.
Note: You may lose network service for a short period on the day of transfer. If this happens, turn your phone off and on occasionally, until you see the giffgaff signal on your mobile phone screen. This will indicate that the transfer is complete.
Visit giffgaff online for more information and their latest offers on mobile phones, contracts and PAYG deals.